When your access to the internet and cell service gets cut, you better have a plan B for Info and Intel.
The goal of this post: Kick start your Plan B without procrastination excuses like “I have to study and pass first…, I don’t have the money…”
1) Listen: You can listen without a license. Get a cheap handheld and start listening while you study for the exam. Less than $40 gets you off your ass and on the air.
2) Study: Although you should strive to understand your equipment and the procedures, you can easily memorize answers from published test pools. Again, this is to get you on the air fast where you can gain practical experience. Here are 2 self-study resources:
3) Read: Start reading these sites:
4) Act: Go to these AmRRON pages for more “get started” advice and learn how to participate in their nets. You don’t necessarily need a ham license to start. AmRRON is unique in that it is oriented towards patriots, partisans and preppers. You will understand the significance of this as you learn more about ham radio.
And they have some great introductory videos. They’re long, but very informative.
5) Connect: Join AmRRON and connect with patriots in your AO via their secure membership directory. The AmRRON administrator will take your “contact” request and pass it to another member. If that member wants to talk to you, they’ll contact you. Start building your local net, whether that is just new, like-minded friends for mutual aid, or you start a local radio net and become the intel hub in your AO.