Technical Tools that will be used in various course levels.
- Recent versions of Microsoft Windows include a built-in firewall, which is now turned on automatically. Unfortunately, the Windows firewall is limited in many ways, for example, it does not examine outgoing connections. However, there is an excellent freeware program called Comodo Personal Firewall, which does a better job of keeping your computer secure. They also offer free anti-virus and anti-malware products.
- There is an excellent freeware anti-virus program for Windows called Avast, which is easy to use, regularly updated and well-respected by anti-virus experts. It requires that you register once every 14 months, but registration, updates and the program itself are all free-of-charge. It has fantastic detection rates and some of the best features to play around with. It includes real-time web, P2P, email, instant messaging, network, boot time and behavioral protection. It is also fairly light on resources.
Anti-malware / Anti-spyware software
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free’s industry-leading scanner detects and removes malware like worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, spyware, and more. All you have to do is launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and run a scan.
- (ffio note – We’ve used MalwareBytes to successfully remove some stubborn virus / malware that was not removed with other programs)
Spybot Search & Destroy
- If all you require is to be able to scan and remove malware and rootkits from your system. Or if you want to protect your PC by immunizing your browser and hosts file, the ‘Free Edition’ is the choice for you. If you are a more experienced user you can also check various ‘autostart’ locations using the ‘Startup Tools’. Spybot 2 can scan single files or specific folders and unlike other software it doesn’t matter if the file is located on your local drives or on a network share. Spybot 2 comes with its own whitelist which helps to identify if files are legitimate or not. This useful addition helps to speed up the scan.
IOBit Advanced System Care
- Protect, repair and optimize your computer with Advanced SystemCare Free. Advanced SystemCare Free makes your computer faster and safer with just a single click. It removes spy- and adware, prevents security threads, deletes temporary files and fixes registry errors. Easy, quick and effective.
- (ffio note – IOBit’s ASC has a huge amount of functionality. Explore the Tool Box)
Privacy Cleaners / Secure Delete
- CCleaner is our system optimization system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system – allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.
- “Since I started working with Snowden’s documents, I have been using […] BleachBit” — Bruce Schneier
- BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn’t know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source.
- Eraser is a popular, free and secure file deletion software for windows. It is designed to delete files permanently from your disk and allows you to totally eradicate all the sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it multiple times. This software will also prevent any attempt of retrieval with the use of disk maintenance and undelete utility. Eraser also comes with a flexible and customizable scheduler to ensure that your system memory is overwritten from time to time to avoid data theft.
Browser Add-ons & Settings: HTTPAnywhere, NoScript, etc
Tor Browser Bundle
Android Orb / Tor
TAILS / Linux Distros / USB Sticks
Pigdin / OTR
Jurisdictional Arbritrage – How Pirate Bay Stays in Business, and how to use it yourself
Encryption technologies, Steganography, OTP
Anonymity Services & VPN Services
Virtual Machines / WHONIX
PGP / GPG, Enigmail, Thunderbird
Chaining / Layering VPN’s together, and/or with Tor
Anonymous Payment techniques